Willow Creek Farm Preserve – 2019 Apprentice Program – Application Deadline Extended!
$See above Collegeville job
Phone Number: 6107334741
The Apprenticeship Program at Willow Creek Farm Preserve (WCFP) is an educational program focusing on practical training in organic small-scale farming and gardening, with an emphasis on the dynamic connections between food and the environment.
The nine-month Apprenticeship Program offers instruction and daily hands-on experience concentrating on the ecological interactions amongst plants, soils, animals, climate, insects, and pathogens. Apprentices work alongside staff members of WCFP on our 135-acre farm in the orchards, fields and raised bed garden. Apprentices spend a small percentage of each week in a classroom setting and will also complete self-study assignments. In addition, apprentices participate in the Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training (CRAFT) program and attend up to four farm tours and educational events within Southeastern, Pennsylvania, overseen by Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture (PASA). The Apprenticeship Program highlights the following six aspects of WCFP: Tree Fruit, Small Fruit, Blueberries and Brambles, Sheep, Raised Bed Vegetable Production and Cover Crops.
Examples of daily activities include bed preparation, transplanting, seed sowing, watering, weeding, thinning, composting, harvesting, produce handling, animal care, pruning, orchard IPM duties, U-pick oversight, etc. Rotational positions of responsibility may include cleaning, mowing, watering, etc. and may require different and/or longer hours.
1. Genuine interest in organic agricultural production and strong physical and mental work ethic.
2. Responsible and internally motivated to learn and improve one’s skillset and knowledge base.
3. Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work well with others, including co-workers and the public.
4. Prior agricultural experience is not required, although any work or study in the field of food or agriculture is a desirable attribute to apprenticeship applicants.
5. Must be 21+ years of age, pass a Background Check and have a Valid Driver’s License.
1. Lift or move up to 50lbs, unassisted.
2. Carry, bend, kneel, and stand for long periods of time and work outdoors in all weather conditions.
1. Full-time Monday – Saturday (40-45+ hours a week); variable days off and rotating Sunday duties.
2. Apprentices are given the option of living at the Farm in a furnished farmhouse.
3. $425/week salary paid bi-weekly; Deduct $100/week with housing.
4. 3 days Paid Time Off (PTO), 4 Paid Holidays, and 3 days Unpaid Time Off.
TO APPLY: Submit resume to Melissa.firstname.lastname@example.org and complete our online application. *Application deadline extended to 1/31/19. We look forward to hearing from you!