Vegetable Production Manager
Posted: Tue, March 30, 2021
Carversville, PA job
Phone Number: 8552288085
Carversville Farm Foundation is hiring a Vegetable Production Manager with significant experience growing Certified Organic vegetables, herbs, and perennials. This is an exciting opportunity for a professional grower looking for a career on the cutting edge of sustainable food production. Responsibilities include planning and managing farm staff and apprentices in the production of vegetables, fruit, and herbs year round. This position reports directly to the Farm Manager and works continuously with the Livestock Manager to plan daily, weekly, and seasonal workflow, personnel, and equipment distribution.
The ideal candidate will be willing to make a long term commitment and possess the following qualifications and experience:
· A minimum of 3 seasons managing Certified Organic vegetable production on 5+ acres.
· Management of employees and apprentices.
· Operation of tractors, implements and equipment relating to vegetable production
· Winter growing experience in high tunnels and season extension outside.
· Daily field work including seeding, transplanting, trellising, mechanical and hand weeding, greenhouse work, high tunnel work, post-harvest wash and
packing and irrigation.
· Experience and desire to work with and teach apprentices on a daily basis.
· A track record of success working in a cooperative team environment requiring a high level of planning, communication, and documentation.
· Soil testing, re-mineralization, foliar feeding, pest and disease scouting (NOP/OMRI compliant).
· Knowledge of the principles of soil biology, ecosystem function, plant science, and environmental regeneration.
· A desire to produce food of the highest nutritional, culinary, and ecological quality.
· A desire to continue to learn and grow as a person and farmer. Continuous personal development is encouraged and supported at CFF.
· Mechanical and technical ability to troubleshoot issues with equipment, irrigation, and infrastructure with the help of the farm manager, farm mechanic, and professional contractors.
Who we are:
Carversville Farm Foundation is a non-profit that grows fresh food specifically for donation to local communities in need. We run a certified organic farm where we raise top-quality vegetables, poultry, beef and eggs, and we donate over ninety percent of our harvests to Philadelphia-area soup kitchens and food pantries. In 2020 we gave more than 120,000 pounds of food, including pastured poultry and grass-fed beef and a wide variety of fresh produce. We also sustain the environment through our rigorous organic farming practices and train future farmers through our apprentice program.
This is a salaried, full time, year round, permanent position. You will be provided housing or housing stipend and have access to food from the farm. Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes 100% paid health, dental, vision and other benefits. For consideration, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Carversville Farm Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.