Policy Program Organizer
Posted: Mon, July 12, 2021
$40K-45K Columbus, OH job
Phone Number: 6144212022
The Policy Program Organizer will help develop and implement campaigns to advance our policy goals. This work will expand the base and leadership of OEFFA farmers and non-farm members willing to engage and lead on these issues. They will conduct one-on-one and small group meetings with producers and other members to develop relationships, build understanding and opportunities for change, while including more diverse member voices and leadership. The position will include strategic communications work for OEFFA’s Policy Program including publications, educational materials, press releases, emails, website content and action forms, and social media content.
This is a full-time, salaried, position with the option to work remotely, preferably in the Central Ohio region.
• Effectively communicate and advance OEFFA’s mission
• Conduct one-on-one visits with farmers as well as other current and potential members and allies to build relationships
• Recruit new members, provide member training, support, foster and develop spokespeople
• Organize events, including listening sessions, farm tours, and legislative meetings, recruit, promote, and turn out members and potential leaders to meetings, events, and trainings
• Work proactively with staff and members to develop and implement campaign strategies to win on our policy issues
• Participate in coalitions, work groups, and networks
• Manage and create policy communications content for OEFFA’s website, email, action alerts, social media, newsletter, policy bulletin, and publications.
• Work with the media to promote OEFFA’s work, build media relationships, grow our credibility and build public awareness
• Develop education and outreach materials for a variety of audiences.
• Utilize online engagement and email management database for development of member hotlists, match members with engagement opportunities utilizing tools such as petitions and click to call campaigns.
• Assist with grant report and writing for related projects
• Represent OEFFA in outreach activities as necessary to reach new members
• At least two years’ experience in advocacy on public policy issues and grassroots/field organizing
• Knowledge of/experience with sustainable agriculture, media work, and environmental issues is strongly preferred
• Excellent oral, written communication, and interpersonal skills
• Ability to facilitate group decision-making processes
• Understanding of the basic concepts of organizing and building power to make real change
• Commitment to the mission and goals of OEFFA and to organizing for social change
• Ability to be self-directed, to think creatively and work well with people from diverse backgrounds, to handle multiple tasks at once and adapt to changing conditions
• Strong computer skills in PC platform, including experience with graphic design applications, WordPress, social media, and database and engagement platforms such as Salsa Engage/CRM
• Experience writing articles, press releases, brochures, programs, fliers, website content, and for social media platforms and/or developing media relations.
• Authorized to work in the United States with a valid Ohio driver license, clean driving record and a reliable vehicle.
• Exhibit strong organizational, analytic, and project management skills
• College degree or equivalent experience required
Compensation and Benefits – The salary for this position is in the $40-45,000 range depending on experience and qualifications. OEFFA offers a benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, and insurance options and paid time off. A SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with employer match is offered after 2 years of employment.
Applications consist of a cover letter including and explanation of your interests in sustainable agriculture and grassroots organizing, resume, writing sample and the name and contact information for three references (indicate relationship). Applications should be addressed to Amalie Lipstreu, OEFFA Policy Director, and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Grassroots Organizer” in the subject line. Please combine all application materials into one PDF. Applications received by August 7th will receive full consideration and the position will remain open until filled. No phone calls, please.
Target start date September 13th.