Part-time Orchard Educational Program Assistant
Posted: Mon, August 23, 2021
Phone Number: 717-520-2317
Milton Hershey School (MHS) is seeking a part-time Program Assistant for the School’s Horticultural Center and affiliated 135 acres of fields, greenhouses, gardens, and orchards. Milton Hershey School provides all students enrolled with agricultural, horticultural and environmental experiences. Students with interest in agriculture & environmental education can enrich those experiences by taking classes, participating in clubs and activities, and working in the School’s Agricultural and Environmental Education (AEE) Program.
-Supporting the Instructional Advisors at the Horticultural Center to provide engaging, authentic, hands-on educational experiences in the horticultural center in our indoor and outdoor horticultural spaces which include greenhouses, hydroponics, gardens, and orchard areas.
-Facilitating educational and inspiring after-school clubs and other horticultural activities and programs.
-Supporting operational functions that ensure the fields, greenhouses, gardens and orchards are healthy, well maintained, and annually productive with products students can plant, nurture, harvest, and sell.
-Utilizing farm equipment and horticultural chemicals.
-Knowledge of greenhouse and orchard management.
-Supporting the opportunities for students at the School’s Project Market (a student-run, year-round agribusiness) and oversight of Project Market produce stock.
– High School diploma or GED.
– Demonstrated success in ensuring healthy and productive fields, gardens, and orchards of a similar scope to MHS’s resources.
– Knowledge of horticultural farming, greenhouse management, gardening, and orchard management preferred.
– Private Pesticide Applicators license a plus.
– Demonstrated success with hydroponics a plus.
– Demonstrated success in providing youth with engaging agricultural or horticultural educational programming.
– Experience with diverse Pre-K through 12th grade students from financial & social need a plus.
– Skilled in utilizing farm equipment (tractors, trucks, mowers, chain saw, pruning equipment, sprayers, plows, front end loaders).
– Proficient with Microsoft applications, Google docs, and Internet, as well as the ability to effectively incorporate various technologies into educational experiences.
– Exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to collaborate, lead, educate, and inspire.
– Candidates should demonstrate a high degree of integrity as all staff are considered to be role models for MHS students.
– Candidates must be “all in” and willing to actively engage with MHS students including availability for evenings and weekend activities.