Organic Vegetable Assistant Farm Manager
Posted: Tue, August 31, 2021
See Compensation Above HUSTONTOWN job
Phone Number: 8144483904
New Morning farm is 25 acres of, highly diversified, certified organic vegetable production owned and owned and operated by Jennifer Glenister and managed by a team of 10 apprentices and employees. We focus our production towards our highly successful, nearly year round, farmers markets in Washington D.C.
To meet market demand, we strive to consistently produce high quality vegetables, eggs, and herbs using season extension, succession plantings, and excellent storage. We also sell many amazing fruits, vegetables, and foods from our neighbors in the country. With a 50-year history, we are constantly striving to improve our systems and be sustainable with regards to our soil and environment, our people, and our business.
The assistant farm manager will be working to support and facilitate the farm crew in all aspects of organic vegetable production, with focus towards cultivating and supporting the team that manages New Morning Farm. Our apprentices have direct responsibility for management of crops and jobs. The assistant farm manager role includes connecting apprentices to our current systems and procedures, as well as our depth of experience, and helping them be successful managers. While we are pleased and proud of many of our processes, knowledge, and results, there is ample room for improvement.
We are searching for a teammate who will complement our core team of four managers. Whether the details of a harvest procedure, or the longer term crop mix, the assistant farm manager will be integral in helping New Morning Farm reach its goals to sustainably serve people and the environment.
-Continue to develop and support the farm and team culture of equality, trust, openness, and growth, especially as we welcome new apprentices each year.
– Assist in training of new apprentices
-Support apprentices and farm team in continual evaluation and improvement of our work from day to day
– Give timely direct and fair feedback all teammates
– Receive feedback well from all teammates
– Help all managers to be successful(we can do good management in horrendous conditions, the worse things are, the more important successful management)
– Model and demonstrate our decision making processes for apprentices, including frequent collaboration with others within and without NMF
– Work closely with Jenni and the farm and market team during the 2-3 years which may be needed to fully settle into NMF culture and this key role
– Generally maintain an optimistic, pragmatic, and curious attitude
– Maintain all required records and activities pertaining to safety, organic certification, and food safety.
– Experience, confidence, and excitement in nurturing team cohesion and leading a team while encouraging the full participation and skill building of all the talents therein
– Ability to tactfully mediate crew relationships
-Strong verbal and written communications skills
– Align with NMF in terms of farm and team culture, love for the mission, values, and daily process
-Farm experience: enough to fully appreciate that farming outdoors is ALWAYS learning, and will knock you down even when you feel a level of mastery
– Valid Driver’s License
– Preferred Qualification: at least 2 years of diversified vegetable production experience, comfortable with spreadsheet calculations
Projects/Roles where we see opportunity
Cost of Production Calculations for our top 10 crops using our existing Crop Costing Spreadsheet
Work plan and execution of changes for areas of production suggested by crop costing
Improve production labor efficiency. We see opportunity to create a highly skilled team that gets more done within our regular working days.
-Housing all utilities included,
-Food, full board
-Conference and Trainings Registration Fees,
-Yearly Stipend for Rain Gear,
-With commitment for the following year: Month paid vacation, Profit sharing bonus, Housing improvements,
How to Apply:
Visit our website to learn our story and values. Please give special attention to our Employment Page as an introduction to our apprentice team, work flow, living arrangements, and working environment.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your cover letter and resume attached.