Obercreek Farm: Full Time/Full Season Field Crew Member Position available
Wappingers Falls job Justin C Seelaus
Obercreek Farm is excited to announce an opening for a full time/full season field crew member. You will have the opportunity to learn the inner workings of our diverse agriculture business while contributing your fullest in our friendly and fast paced work environment. We have worked hard over the past six seasons to develop the systems and infrastructure needed to run a highly efficient and productive operation. We are seeking crew members who have some experience with farming or physical labor, a good work ethic, a sense of humor and a strong commitment to providing local food. We are seeking folks who would like to help us grow improve the farm into the future. We focus on providing high quality produce to our community while providing our farmers a fair and sustainable wage.
Obercreek Farm is a USDA Certified Organic Farm striving to produce high quality, seasonal vegetables, flowers, herbs, hops and shortly mushrooms. We maximize our growing space through efficient and thoughtful growing techniques that require less land to achieve higher farm productivity and financial sustainability without compromising the health of our agricultural ecosystems and our farmers.
We produce for our on-farm CSA and farm stand as well as wholesale & restaurant clients in the Hudson Valley. Our farm utilizes a regenerative low till agricultural system for the benefit and enjoyment of our community.
Full Time/Full Season Field Crew Member Job Description & Expectations
As a full time, full season field crew member you will experience many aspects of our commercial produce and CSA farm. Daily hours for the majority of the season are 7am to 5:00pm Mon-Fri with an hour for lunch, allowing for flexibility due to weather and time of year with rotating weekend chores or farmers markets. Work will begin March 1st and last through November 30th with potential for winter work. Your 10 hour days will include but are not limited to dozens of other tasks over the course of a full season on a farm. Below are examples of activities you will be participating in.
• Food Safety and Tractor Safety Training
• Field work: harvesting, transplanting, weeding, pruning, trellising, thinning, managing irrigation systems, pest control, bed prep, compost turning etc.
• Pack-out operations: washing and sorting harvested crops, quality control, and packing/storage requirements of all crops
• Greenhouse operations: seeding, potting-up, irrigation, pest control, fertility, trellising, as well as other tasks
• Marketing and Sales operations: working with the CSA, Farm Stand, and wholesale accounts
• Weekly Rotating Chores: General Farm Cleanup, flat washing, garbage, restocking supplies, etc.
Strong work ethic and endurance for hard physical work, willing to work hard above and beyond the job requirements when necessary.
• Sense of humor, positive attitude and enthusiasm.
• Ability to balance speed and efficiency while maintaining Obercreek’s standard of quality.
• Physically fit- capable of lifting 40-50 lbs. repeatedly and easily, and work physically all day in all sorts of weather doing repetitive tasks.
• Work well in a team environment and be able to communicate honestly and accept feedback.
• Previous farming experience.
• A Valid US Driver’s License.
Hourly pay is based on experience and may increase based on performance and length of stay.
Shared housing is available upon request.
*Please state expected hourly wage and if housing is needed on application
BENEFITS OF WORKING ON THE FARM
• Lots of delicious organic vegetables available for your consumption- you will receive a free full Vegetable CSA share and discounts at our farm stand.
• Being part of a dedicated community of people working to improve our local food system
• Spend lots of time outside in the summer
• Potential to move up into a managerial role in subsequent years at the farm
How to Apply:
To apply for work at Obercreek Farm, please send a resume and 3 references to email@example.com. Also please note your expectations for an hourly wage and if housing is required. After we receive your documents, we will contact and interview qualified candidates. We require an on-farm meeting/interview, as well as a trial work day (for field crew applicants) if seasonally appropriate. Specific start dates will be discussed at that time. Please call or email us if you have any questions. Thank you for your interest in promoting organic agriculture and in our farm.