Job Posting – Certification Specialist – OEFFA Certification
$43214 Columbus job Greg Hargett
The Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association announces an immediate opening for two Certification Specialists. The successful applicants will join a team of bright and passionate individuals who are committed to upholding the integrity of the organic label and furthering the sustainable agriculture movement. Please consider applying if you have experience with food and agriculture, a strong work ethic, and value a collaborative approach.
In this round of hiring, additional consideration will be given to applicants who have education and experience in food science and/or food processing and who wish to work with OEFFA’s handling and processing clients.
These are full-time positions (40 hours/week) based in our Columbus, OH office. There may be some travel in Ohio. We expect these positions to begin no later than May 20th, 2019. It takes approximately one year to master this position, so please apply only if you are prepared to make a multi-year commitment.
Certification Specialists collaborate with co-workers and clients to conduct in-depth reviews of applications for organic certification. Certification Specialists guide applicants through the process as they strive to meet federal organic standards. They may participate in policy development, educational programming, and other special projects as they arise.
Essential Job Functions
• Review producer and handler applications and files to verify compliance with the National Organic Program standards
• Conduct on-site inspections of farms and facilities
• Provide excellent customer service and assistance to certification clients
• Handle correspondence, fax, phone, and email communications in a consistently professional manner
• Work on special projects as assigned by the Certification Program Director
• Stay current with changes in National Organic Program standards
• Help develop and implement OEFFA Certification policies and procedures
• Experience in the field: with crops, livestock, and/or food processing
• Knowledge: related to organic certification, in a certification program, as a producer, handler, or inspector
• Self-directed: takes initiative and is able to be self-sufficient
• Workflow management: outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
• Good thinker: strong analytical and critical thinking
• Communications: exceptional skill in oral and written communications
• Collaborative: effective at working with others to reach common goals and objectives
• Relationship-building: skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with co-workers, clients, and external stakeholders
• Prioritization: ability to prioritize, plan, and complete work on deadline
• Technology: excellent computer skills, including Excel and Word
• Standards: commitment to performing work with a high standard for consistency, accountability, and excellence
• Education: Bachelor degree or higher in a relevant field preferred
• Self-knowledge: understands own strengths, weaknesses, and preferences around work and workplace environment, with 3-5 years’ experience in the workforce
Salary commensurate with experience, in addition to health insurance, paid time off, holidays, and sick leave, not to mention membership in a team which is dedicated to supporting our organic operations, each other, and a growing organic industry.
Applications consist of three items: a cover letter, résumé, and names of three references (indicate relationship to you). Please combine all of these in a single .pdf. In your cover letter please address how your experience and background meet the requirements of the position. All application materials should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and addressed to Andy Hupp, Certification Program Director. Please include the job title for which you are applying in the subject line. Applications received by April 16th, 2019 will be assured full consideration.
OEFFA was formed in 1979 and is a tight-knit, membership-based grassroots organization, dedicated to promoting and supporting sustainable, ecological, and healthful food systems. OEFFA Certification has been in operation since 1981, providing organic certification services to farmers and food processors throughout the Midwest. Our clients include grain growers, dairy farmers, mixed vegetable growers, coffee roasters, meat processors, and everything in between.
We are attentive to the ways in which our organizational culture advances our progress towards fulfilling our mission. The nature of our work necessitates that each staff member collaborates with others and generously supports the work of colleagues and those we serve. We value individual and collective creative problem-solving, commitment to shared responsibilities, integrity, initiative, and effective communication.