Fully Sponsored Farm and Food Education Fellowship
Monterey, Virginia job
Phone Number: 540-886-0160
Now in its eighth year, Allegheny Mountain Institute’s fully sponsored 18-month Fellowship prepares and empowers individuals to become teachers and ambassadors for a more vibrant and accessible local food system. Selected Fellows spend six months in immersive training on our mountain farm campus (Phase I) and one year in service work with food related non-profit partner organizations (Phase II). AMI is an educational non-profit organization with the mission to cultivate healthy communities through food and education.
Phase I – Farm Study (May 13 – October 30, 2019)
– Gain hands-on experience in sustainable fruit and vegetable production, small animal husbandry, beekeeping, homesteading skills and more on our mountain farm in Highland County, VA.
– Study regenerative farming, nutrition and wellness, herbalism, permaculture design, and community development through expert guest instructors, field trips, and educational sessions.
– Explore local food system leadership opportunities through participation with school garden activities, a weekly farmers market, farm stay programming and more.
– Experience living in a deciduous rain forest on the Eastern Continental Divide, reside in handcrafted cabins, and share farm-fresh meals supplemented with whole food staples.
– Phase I Fellows receive $1,000 stipend upon signature and commitment to the Phase II contract. Additional benefits include: room and board, paid time off.
Phase II – Service Work (January 6 – December 18, 2020)
– Apply Phase I training and work with AMI and Partner Organizations to help build healthy communities through food and education in Highland and Augusta Counties, Virginia.
– Contribute to projects such as: growing food and increasing food access, developing local food system infrastructure, and creating and teaching site-based garden curriculum.
– Build farming and leadership skills through monthly continuing education opportunities, field trips and workshops.
– Grow through monthly mentorship and support by AMI staff.
– Earn $10 per hour (less payroll taxes, paid bi-weekly). Additional benefits include: workers compensation coverage, paid time off and health leave.
Applicants must be physically fit, able to lift 50 pounds, walk distances up and down steep hills, work outdoors for extended periods of the day, and be comfortable living and working communally as a team in a remote, mountain setting. Applicants invited to participate in the Fellowship must clear a background check.
Applications due by February 1, 2019.
Learn more and apply today at www.alleghenymountaininstitute.org.
For more information, e-mail email@example.com or call 540-886-0160.
AMI admits participants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable Federal, State and local laws.