Farm and Garden Seasonal Assistant – Bucknell University
Posted: Mon, April 5, 2021
Lewisburg, PA job
The Farm and Garden Seasonal Assistant (SA) will assist with the daily operations of the Bucknell University Farm (BUF) and the Lewisburg Community Garden (LCG). Established in Spring 2018, the BUF supports a host of university courses and academic research, promotes campus sustainability efforts, provides fresh, organic produce for use by Bucknell Dining, offers recreational opportunities for students, faculty, and staff, and advocates for an overall healthier campus climate. Founded in Spring 2012, the LCG provides access to fresh, locally-grown produce by providing growing space for community members who wish to practice organic gardening, by offering relevant educational opportunities, and by donating fresh produce to local food security programs, including Be Eats. This position reports to the Farm and Garden Coordinator and will work closely with staff and faculty in the management and care of the BUF and LCG.
This is a casual (non-benefits eligible), seasonal position which will be generally work 20 hours per week through October 2021.
Apply at careers.bucknell.edu
● Direct students and volunteers at both the BUF and the LCG. This will include, but may not be limited to, soil preparation, seed and seedlings planting, mulching, weeding, watering,
● Co-facilitate work sessions and educational activities with AmeriCorps members and student leaders (using directions and task lists provided by the Coordinator).
● Provide guidance and direction to student employees and volunteers. Supervise and manage work in the absence of the Coordinator.
● Help to manage the growth and cultivation of several thousand organically-grown seedlings for planting at both the BUF and the LCG, and for plant sale fundraising events. This will include supervising student workers.
● Assist the Farm and Garden Coordinator with coordinating and operating plant sale.
● Work independently when needed.
● Communicate with all staff, students and volunteers to plan work sessions.
● Assisting the garden advisory board and Coordinator in:
o managing the plot rental process
o communicating with plot renters and ensuring they meet expectations of rental contract
● Additional garden management duties include, but are not limited to:
○ Ensure that tools and materials are properly maintained and cleaned
○ Ensure that safe practices are utilized including Covid safety protocols
● Experience and familiarity with growing vegetables and fruits in our region
● Basic knowledge of organic growing practices and related tools and equipment
● Experience managing employees, volunteers, and/or students
● Prior experience working with a diverse workforce
● Demonstrated attention to detail
● Basic familiarity with electronic spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets) and documents (Microsoft Word, Google Docs)
● Demonstrated ability to multi-task manage workload in multiple spaces
● Demonstrated ability to effectively and efficiently communicate with plot renters, volunteers, employees, students, and other constituents
● High school diploma or equivalent
● Valid driver’s license
● Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evening hours and occasional weekend hours
● Work locations vary daily and routine travel between multiple sites that are several miles apart will be required (such as Lewisburg Community Garden and Bucknell University Farm); university vehicles are not provided.
● Horticultural Training or Master Gardener Certification
● First Aid/CPR certificate/training
● Experience working with college students
● Bachelor’s degree
● Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
● Bending, kneeling, stooping, pushing, pulling, reaching above and below shoulders, lifting.
● Ability to work outdoors, some evenings and weekends.
● Possible daily exposure to adverse weather conditions and temperature changes.