Fall Farm Crew Interns at Willow Creek Farm Preserve
Posted: Thu, August 26, 2021
HOURS/POSITION TYPE/COMPENSATION: • Tuesday – Saturday, 8am – 3pm; (approximately 30 hours/week); rotating Sunday duties. • Candidates may complete this internship for college credit. • $10/hour paid bi-weekly; Deduct $60/week if electing on-site housing at our renovated farmhouse. • Veggies from staff garden. Collegeville, PA job
Phone Number: 610-733-4741
The Fall Internship Program at WCFP offered Early-September – Mid-November, 2021, is a hands on work-learning program focusing on small-scale regenerative organic farming and farm-based education, with an emphasis on the dynamic connections between food, fiber and the environment. Fall Farm Crew Interns report to the Operations & Education Manager and Assistant Operations Manager.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
• The Internship Program offers instruction and daily hands-on experience concentrating on the ecological interactions amongst plants, soils, animals, climate, insects, and pathogens. Interns work alongside WCFP staff on our 135-acre farm in the orchards, fields and raised bed gardens.
• The Interns will be trained and support/lead WCFP Educational programming for diverse audiences on a range of farm-based education topics.
• Interns participate in at least one off-farm tour or off-farm speaker experience within the region with organizations such as the Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training (CRAFT) overseen by Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture (PASA).
• The Internship Program highlights the following topics: Introduction to Basics of Regenerative Organic Farming, Considerations of Farm-Based Education, Introduction to Fruit Production, Considerations for Raising Sheep, and Raised Bed Vegetable Production in our Seed to Share Garden™.
• Genuine interest in Regenerative organic farming and strong physical and mental work ethic.
• Responsible and internally motivated to learn and improve one’s skillset and knowledgebase.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work well with others, including co-workers and the public.
• Prior agricultural experience is not required, although any work or study in the field of food or agriculture is a desirable attribute to Internship applicants.
• Experience with education recommended (interest in farm-based education a must); experience in fiber arts a plus (interest strongly recommended).
• Must be 18+ years of age, pass a Background Check and have a Valid Driver’s License.
• Lift/move up to 50lbs, unassisted.
• Carry, bend, kneel and stand for long periods and work outdoors in all weather conditions.
ABOUT US: Willow Creek Farm Preserve (WCFP) is a 135-acre regenerative transitional organic farm located in central Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. We specialize in farm classes, field trips & tours, raise Shetland Sheep for wool, and operate our Learning Barn Farm Shoppe & Studio where we feature our fiber & fiber arts. We grow 12-acres of u-pick perennial fruit and offer a community volunteer-based, one-acre raised bed vegetable Seed to Share Garden™ where 100% of the vegetables grown are donated to local food pantries. We also grow hay, straw and have 20-acres of pasture for our sheep. For more information visit: www.willowcreekfarmpreserve.org