Fair Farms Program Coordinator
Posted: Thu, September 23, 2021
$42-45K Columbus, OH job
Phone Number: 6144212022
The Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association (OEFFA) has an immediate opening for a highly capable and motivated individual to serve as Program Coordinator for a new initiative focused on Fair Farms, understood as including fair prices to farmers, fairness in trade with farmers, as well as fair working conditions for everyone who works producing the food. The successful candidate will join a team of bright and passionate individuals who are committed to furthering sustainable agriculture, family-scale farming, and the local food economy. Please consider applying if you have relevant experience in farmer education, sustainable agriculture, and/or fair trade.
The Fair Farms Program Coordinator takes primary responsibility for managing all aspects of OEFFA’s new program to assist farmers in implementing fair pricing and fair labor practices, guided by the standards established by the Agriculture Justice Project’s Food Justice Certification. OEFFA has received funding for three years to launch this program, which will address the interrelated issues of fair pricing and just working conditions for farmworkers, through education and technical assistance for farmers.
This full time position has an annual compensation range of $42,000-45,000 per year, commensurate with experience. The position is based in OEFFA’s Columbus office. Benefits include health insurance and paid time off. Employer contribution to a retirement savings account is offered after two years of employment.
• Coordinate with OEFFA staff and project partners such as the Agricultural Justice Project to deliver high quality education and technical assistance to farmers that advances social justice in agriculture
• Develop and execute educational programming for farmers that spotlight farmers as educators to deliver concrete solutions to real-world problems. Topics include farm safety plans, calculating costs of production, negotiating contracts, conflict resolution, intern training programs, etc.
• Facilitate creation of a network of relevant stakeholders interested in advancing fair labor practices on farms and help build their capacity to provide technical assistance to farmers
• Conduct evaluation of program components and technical assistance provided
• Take responsibility for reporting requirements and dissemination of project results
• Provide direct technical assistance to farmers seeking to improve fair labor and fair pricing practices
• Collaborate with Communications Director to update print and web-based promotional and educational materials
• Serve as spokesperson on farm fairness and justice issues with press and media; collaborate with other staff to identify staff or OEFFA members to speak with press and media, as appropriate
• Represent OEFFA at events and meetings
• Provide excellent customer service and assistance to our members and constituents by ensuring information and assistance needs are met, and all communications are handled in a professional manner.
• Assist with delivery of educational program work not related to core job duties as needed
• Help grow OEFFA’s membership
• Contribute to general fundraising event work
• Answer general phone lines and provide other general office support
• Knowledge of and experience in applying fair trade concepts and practices
• Experience in organic or sustainable farming production and/or farm labor or labor management
• Experience in developing and implementing educational events and materials for farmers
• Ability to plan, manage, and execute work including using spreadsheets and databases for tracking and analyzing information
• Ability to be flexible in scheduling work
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to manage multiple tasks at the same time
• Passion about sustainable agriculture and organic agriculture, social justice, family farms, and rural places
• Sincere willingness to work to advance OEFFA’s commitments to diversity and racial justice commitments
• Commitment to performing work with a high degree of accountability and consistent excellence with exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
• Ability to work independently
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field is preferred
The position is opened until filled. Review of applications begins on October 10, 2021. Interested candidates are advised to apply by this date to receive full consideration, although the position will stay open until filled. (If this posting is removed from the OEFFA website, we are no longer accepting applications.)
Your application should be addressed to Renee Hunt, Program Director, and consists of three items: a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references (indicate relationship to you). In your cover letter please address how your experience and background meet the requirements of the position. Please combine these as a single PDF file and submit via email to email@example.com and for the subject line use “Fair Farms Program Coordinator.”
We seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool, and all employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and organizational need. In the same way that biological diversity is foundational to the healthy agricultural systems we support, we recognize that diversity of people makes OEFFA healthier and more sustainable, and thus is a core value of our organization. As part of the application, we invite candidates to describe how their life experiences enrich the diversity of our organization.
OEFFA was formed in 1979 and is a tight-knit, membership-based grassroots organization, dedicated to promoting and supporting sustainable, ecological, and healthful food systems. Our members include farmers, gardeners, and conscientious eaters who committed to work together to create and promote a sustainable and healthful food and farming system.
We are attentive to the ways in which our organizational culture advances our progress towards fulfilling our mission. The nature of our work necessitates that each staff member collaborates with others and generously supports the work of colleagues and those we serve. We value individual and collective creative problem-solving, commitment to shared responsibilities, integrity, initiative, and effective communication. In the same way that biological diversity is foundational to the healthy agricultural systems we support, we recognize that diversity of people makes OEFFA healthier and more sustainable, and thus is a core value of our organization.
For more information, go to www.oeffa.org.